We’re Travis Perkins plc and we know a thing or two about the building and home improvement markets. After all, we’ve been supplying the building and construction trades for more than 200 years. Travis Perkins plc operates 21 businesses across the UK and owns 19 product brands within these businesses.
Staying ahead of our competition and ensuring continual relevance to our customers’ needs is paramount for growth. We must therefore be at the forefront of finding innovative solutions to these changing customer needs.
By understanding and exploring this research we can partner together innovators, our manufacturers and our customers to bring new, relevant products to market in an efficient and effective manner. Our ambition is to be at the forefront of providing innovative solutions to the challenges and problems our customers face on a daily basis, both now and in the future.
Do you have a product innovation that is relevant to the construction industry or do you want to have a go at solving an industry wide problem? TPIA are looking to unearth relevant construction innovation to find the next big thing in our industry!
This is an exciting opportunity for anyone with a great innovative product idea to put forward their suggestions.
Solve an industry wide problem
- On average, it rains in the UK one in every three days (BBC). Many areas of the construction industry and its products are affected by poor weather conditions. We are looking for the following:
- solutions to overcome the problem of working in wet, cold and windy conditions or
- alternative products to those typically affected by poor weather conditions
- Many of our customers work at height using heavy or awkward materials and equipment. We are looking for safer alternatives e.g. lightweight products or tools.
- Construction sites are typically dirty environments, with muddy boots, unclean tools and equipment and unsurfaced ground, all of which can impact productivity. We are looking for solutions that overcome these common challenges.
- According to the HSE, in 2014/2015, 1.7 million working days were lost due to work related injuries in the construction industry. We are looking for new technologies or solutions to reduce the number of manual handling injuries.
- In 2013, the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) research found that 82% of respondents believed there is a skills shortage and gap in the industry. We are looking for products that are easy to install and use, taking into account this skills gap.
Ref: Skills Gap
- The UK Green Building Council highlighted that our industry produces 109m tonnes of construction waste each year (24% of total waste), of which up to 13% is delivered and unused. We are looking for solutions that:
- Use alternative materials to reduce landfill waste from our industry
- Enable us to estimate required materials better
- Manage hazardous waste better (either making new products or disposal solutions)
Source: UK Green Building Council
Awards may be presented in the following areas: financial support of up to £10,000, opportunity to trial an innovative product in selected Travis Perkins Group locations around the UK, business mentoring and commercial support, meet and greet the TP Exec and networking across the Group’s supply chain network.
Here are the key dates for the 2016 Awards
Before you get started, you will need to sign up to submit your application.
Once registered, you will receive an e-mail link to set your password so please check your inbox.
Please ensure you answer all questions as incomplete application forms will not be put forward.
Once submitted, you will receive a copy of your completed application via email. Please check your spam folder.
Or if you have a saved application you're working on then login below:
Click to find out more information about our sponsors
Marshalls, the UK’s leading manufacturer of hard landscaping materials, is proud to be headline sponsor of the Travis Perkins Innovation Awards. Marshalls fosters a culture of innovation within its business and shares Travis Perkins’ desire to promote it in an industry that is so often considered to be lacking in forward thought and new practices. Marshalls is proud to lead the landscaping industry in product innovation, in fact Innovation in all areas of the business over an extended period has been a key element of its success, and the company is committed to the ongoing investment of significant resources in Research and Development. Marshalls understands that it is this commitment which is key to its ongoing success.
Innovation is at the heart of ADEY’s ethos and is fundamental to the company’s emergence as Europe’s leading water treatment manufacturer serving the heating industry having pioneered the first magnetic filter with MagnaClean®. Our technology has been recognised with a Queen’s Award for Innovation and our UK Research Centre responsible for the development of the fastest growing brand of premium chemicals on the market is further evidence of our commitment to delivering groundbreaking products to benefit the industry, consumers and the environment. Our involvement in the Travis Perkins Innovation Awards is therefore entirely appropriate and we’re delighted to support this exciting initiative.
Cooking inspires people. People inspire us. Our passion for cooking drives our innovation. We know the importance of the kitchen to our ‘Cookaholics’ and NEFF customer, this alongside our adventurous and daring culture allows us to make breakthrough products and introduce new innovative kitchen concepts like the unique Slide&Hide® disappearing oven door, the only disappearing door on the market, CircoTherm® hot air cooking technology and SeamlessCombination.
NEFF is credited with many industry firsts – we originally pioneered the concept of built-in ovens and microwave cooking back in the 50’s and 60’s – fast forward to 2016 and built-in is now the no.1 choice for kitchens across Europe.
Partnering together with Travis Perkins to sponsor the 2016 Travis Perkins Innovation Awards, means together we can bring new innovations and relevant products to the market that meet the demands of both the customer and the rapidly growing marketplace.
British Gypsum, part of the SaintGobain group, is the UK’s leading manufacturer of interior lining systems. Our aim is to develop innovative products and services that help our customers build better spaces to live, work and play. In every kind of building – from home to work, from the local supermarket to the local hospital – we help create partitions, provide comfort, protect against fire and insulate against sound. With over 100 years’ experience in producing plaster, plasterboard and ceiling solutions, we already have a wide range of choice within our high performance products and systems. However, we’re continually pushing the boundaries through our ambitious innovation programme which, driven by our customers insights, means our development pipeline is at the forefront of providing innovative solutions for our customers.
British Gypsum is delighted to sponsor this year’s Innovation awards, as we recognise the importance of nurturing and supporting the innovation process within this sector.
JW Ostendorf has been proudly supplying Wickes & Travis Perkins paint since 2010 from Europe’s most modern paint manufacturing facility. Founded in Germany in 1948 we have grown to be one of the world’s top manufacturers of decorative paints and are committed to efficient environmentally friendly paint production.
We are pioneers of innovation & sustainability:
- Our production plant is an internationally awarded “Reference Plant” in Eco Efficiency
- We have won the “Blauer Engel” – German sustainability award and many of our products carry the EU Ecolabel and Nordic Swan Certificate.
- Pioneers in water based & solvent free glosses and emulsions which
significantly reduce environmental impact while performing better than their solvent based equivalents.
Promoting innovation within our industry is hugely important. We are constantly searching for new ideas to make our production & distribution process more efficient and our products perform better with less environmental impact.
Pegler Yorkshire has been leading the way in the specialist fields of fittings, taps and valves since 1888. This pedigree has earned the company an enviable worldwide reputation for superb quality and high performing products under renowned brands such as Terrier, Yorkshire, Tectite, XPress, Performa and Francis Pegler. At the heart of our operations is the desire to drive continual innovation and deliver tangible solutions to real issues such as energy efficiency and installed savings. We deliver this through a strategic Connect and Control approach. And, through strength flexibility and the ability to engage with our customers, Pegler Yorkshire continues to be a major player in the global plumbing and heating marketplace whilst delivering solutions that address changing market demands. The Travis Perkins Innovation Awards drive engineering creativity and recognize all that is great within our industry. We fully support the Awards as they are integral to our strategy of developmental growth.